This Norbertine or Premonstratensian abbey is located just outside the city. It once was one of the most prominent abbeys in the southern part of the Low Countries; nowadays it is the best preserved abbey in Belgium.
Of particular interest are the Museum Park Abbey and the archives, the premier museum for religious art and culture in Flanders.
The open space with lanes, ponds and pastures will tempt you to go for a relaxing walk.
Major renovations works are currently under construction:
- Renovated west wing of the abbey and future museum: open in October 2017
- Ambulatories with glass windows: open in 2018
- Library and refectory with stucco vaults: open in 2019
- The domain is permanently accessible.
- The buildings of the abbey are closed due to renovation works.
- until 25.10.2017: closed due to reconstruction works
- as from 25.10.2017:
- Tuesdays to Sundays: 10 am-5 pm
- Mondays & public holidays: closed
- 01.04 – 30.09
- Fridays & Sundays: 1.30-4.30 pm.